Monday, February 16, 2009

Miscellaneous

I titled the article "miscellaneous." That's just a fancy word for covering a wide variety of topics, which I intend to do. Right now.

Because Rob was so thorough and insightful, nothing from me on the Cards’ manhandling of DePaul yesterday. Except 25 assists is awesome, and I don’t know why Pitino didn’t succumb to my “Lee Steiden” chants during the waning minutes of the game. Earl Clark doesn’t listen to me very often either.

Despite dropping their second conference loss in South Bend last Thursday, Louisville remained at No. 7 in the latest coaches’ poll. The AP wasn't as kind. We dropped two spots from 5th to 7th there, leapfrogged by Memphis and Michigan State.

ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has released his latest bracketology. The Cards got the 2 seed in the Midwest matched up against Sam Houston of the Southland Conference. Which begs the question: how is one man going to guard five?

The 1 seed in the Midwest is the North Carolina Tar Heels, a team that tops my list of squads-I-don’t-really-want-to-see-in-March. A caveat to Roy Williams, however: the Midwest Regionals are to be held in Indianapolis, unlike last year when the Heels didn’t have to leave their backyard to make that Final Four run.

A close second on my list of squads-I-don’t-really-want-to-see-in-March is UConn, who would have been first but for the season-ending injury to Jerome Dyson. You’ll remember Dyson as the Huskies point man who dropped 14 on us back on Groundhog’s Day. Connecticut has the No. 1 seed in the East (Boston), Pitt the No. 1 seed in the West (Arizona), and Oklahoma the No. 1 in the South (Memphis). Despite the hype and constant media adoration of Blake Griffin, Oklahoma is not very high on my list of squads-I-don’t-really-want-to-see-in-March. Neither is Duke.


According to Lunardi, the Big East and the ACC each get 8 teams in the tourney, with Providence, Syracuse, Villanova, Marquette, and West Virginia rounding it out for the good guys. For those of you joining us from Kentucky Sports Radio, uk makes the tourney as a 10 seed and would face 21-3 and No. 21 RPI Butler in the first round. Good luck with that.

Looks like El Camino Junior College won’t be Matt Simms’ last stop. It’s being reported that he’d like to play his final two years at either Oklahoma or Penn State. You’ll remember Simms as one of the 18 University of Louisville football players that quit, transferred, or was booted from the team during Kragthorpe’s two years at the helm.

Finally, a real treat for you. Big Monday tonight features two top Big East teams in what could decide the regular season title and perhaps a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tourney. Pitt goes to Connecticut tonight for a 7:00 tip-off to be televised on ESPN. The Panthers will need a big day out of DeJuan Blair. It'll be interesting to see if he can pull Hasheem Thabeet away from the basket, a la Greg Monroe in UConn's only defeat of the season. I like UConn to cover at minus 3.5. If I’m right, I’ll remind you in my next article. If Pitt covers, I’ll never bring it up again.

OK you knuckleheads. Get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment